Let me tell you one thing – I read this book in one day! (I know I might be crazy, but I couldn’t stop reading… I just couldn’t, okay?)
It all started on an early Saturday morning (more precisely at 7 am, because I am a weirdo and even during the weekends I wake up super early), when I decided to have a relaxing day, i.e. do nothing else but reading.
A great thought crossed my mind:
“Alex, you have only one unread book by Cassandra Clare, and even though you didn’t love the Infernal devices series that you just finished, why don’t you just read it and get it over with?!”
(just so you know my inner voice, doesn’t always call me by name, but that happens sometimes).
So, let’s get started!
What I liked:
- ACTION ACTION and more ACTION! It was a huge book, but not a single page of it was boring. They were always running, chasing, killing, threats everywhere. In other words “a normal day of being a shadowhunter”.
- NEW CHARACTERS! I know this might sound weird, but after reading the Infernal Devices I was a bit disappointed… Will reminded me of Jace, Jem reminded me of Alec. I couldn’t find anything new and exciting about the characters. It was a complete disaster! HOWEVER, «Lady Midnight» introduced a lot of different versatile personalities that we haven’t met before.
- OLD CHARACTERS! Are you all confused yet?! YES, we got to see characters from the Infernal Devices and Mortal Instruments (I mean… Who doesn’t love Magnus!!?). The shadowhunters’ world is like a spider web of relationships of all shadowhunters around the world! (I hate spiders, by the way… not sure why I couldn’t find another analogy…)
- MYSTERY and DRAMA! Honestly, I had no idea what was going on until right the end of the book. Who was responsible for everything and what was the reason behind it! Isn’t it wonderful?! I definitely think it is. That is why you can read a 700 pages book in just one day. Because, the MYSTERIES!
What I disliked:
- Cassandra Clare’s classic FORBIDDEN LOVE! Hope I won’t spoil anything for you. It was all very obvious right from the start. Note: I didn’t hate it as much as the “forbidden love” in Infernal Devices, rather found it a bit annoying (well, maybe a lot annoying).
- WHY DO ALL FEMALE PROTAGONISTS HAVE TO BE STUPID?! I understand that a lot of you might say: “It is not stupidity! It’s recklessness!… And bravery! AND selflessness!!” But! When character’s actions don’t actually do any good to anyone and only place him / her in a dangerous situation, I find it the first and very obvious sign of unintelligence!
Definitely giving it 5 stars. Any huge book I read in one day deserves more than 5 stars. It was entertaining, gripping and set in a wonderful world of Shadowhunters and Demons!
NOTE: You might want to read the Mortal Instruments and Infernal Devices series (and maybe a handful of Shadowhunter Academy short stories, even though I didn’t and don’t think it is mandatory) before you start «Lady Midnight».
Let me know in the comments down below:
Have you read Lady Midnight? Do you like Cassandra Clare’s books? What series is your favourite?